You may have seen Antonelli on the TV previously when we featured as one of the mini films on the BBC’s Great British Bake Off after a visit to our bakery by presenter Sue Perkins.
Now Antonelli have been selected once again by the BBC production team to help demonstrate to younger viewers how ice cream cones are made. This is one of the many benefits of having our manufacturing facility based in the UK. With very few of the current British suppliers to the ice cream industry still actually baking their own ice cream cones in the UK, who else could the BBC ask? Whilst our name ‘Antonelli’ demonstrates our Italian heritage, we have been baking biscuits and cones in the UK for over 100 years, which is why our cones taste so good even just on their own! Have you tried one? The only UK bakers of waffle, wafer and sugar cones gives us the advantage for a number of reasons;
- Fresher cones made in the market where they are sold
- Less miles to market means less impact on the environment and lower carbon footprint
- Reduced handling through less links in the supply chain means less damaged goods for customers
- We buy local raw materials and supply largely within the UK therefore by buying from Antonelli you are further supporting the British economy
- Antonelli has become a name synonymous with ice cream cone making in the UK ‘Cones for the Connoisseur’ much like the BBC is a respected producer of quality TV
The Antonelli bakery was filmed for the CBeebies show ‘Do you know?’ which presented by Maddie Moate, informs youngsters about how things work and how familiar products are made. During the short film, Maddie explains how waffle cones are made showing the machines in the Antonelli bakery in Manchester. From the batter through to the twisting of the pancake into a cone shape and onto the cooling line ready for packing.
Maddie also has a go at decorating some waffle cones using the hand dipping machine which is easier to demonstrate to children and provides a higher visual impact for the screen than our automatic dipping line machine. As you can see Maddie really enjoyed her experience at our bakery learning all about how we make our ice cream cones.
You can watch the clip for yourself and find out how we make our waffle cones - 'Do You Know?'
BBC show how our waffle cones, dipped cones and decorated cones are manufactured in Manchester
If you are buying MEC3 ingredients and ice cream decorations from us but you haven’t tried our cones then maybe now is the time to try…